Treat yourself NOT your pet- Chocolate Toxcicity 


Most everybody loves to have a treat of chocolate now and then, especially during the Halloween and the holiday season. Some of us also like giving our pets treats too, or our pets treat themselves to some treats we may have neglected to put away. Chocolate however, is toxic to dogs and cats and can make them very sick. Chocolate contains theobromine which is a substance that causes release of the hormone epinephrine and the neurotransmitter norepinephrine. Those substances have multiple effects on the intestinal tract, cardiovascular and neurological systems. 

There are varying levels of theobromine in different types of chocolate, for example:

  • Milk Chocolate:                          60mg/oz
  • Baking chocolate:                     450mg/oz 
  • Semi sweet chocolate:            260mg/oz
  • Dry cocoa powder:                  800mg/oz
  • Hot chocolate:                          12mg/oz
  • White Chocolate                       1mg/oz

Mild symptoms of toxicity start at approximately 20 mg (1kg=2.2lb), cardiotoxic effects start at 40-50 mg/kg and neurological effects generally start around 60mg/kg. Half of the dogs exposed to a level of 100-200mg/kg will die. To put it into a more practical terms, the average chocolate bar contains 2-3 oz of milk chocolate which equals 120-180mg of theobromine. That means a 6 kg (13 lb) dog will start to show mild symptoms if they were to eat one chocolate bar. A 50 lb dog would need eat 3-4 chocolate bars that start seeing mild symptoms, although they would only need to eat 1 oz or 1 square of baked no chocolate to see those same symptoms. 

Milder symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, panting, and restlessness. More severe symptoms include muscle tremors, rapid heart rate, rapid breathing, cyanosis ( blue lips or gum color), seizures and could ultimately lead to cardiac arrhythmia and death. Most commonly, we see the milder symptoms. If you know your pet has eaten a large amount of within the last 2 hours then your veterinarian. There are many things your vet can do to treat the symptoms, even if they are severe.

So as much as we would love to treat our pets to a little chocolate like we do ourselves the safest thing is to not give them any chocolate treats. We hope your fall holiday season is an enjoyable one! 

By: Dr. Pam Pussich

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s